Monday, September 21, 2009

Exercise 4 : Reference sources

1. Where can you find information about Nobel Prize? Who get the Nobel Prize this year.

All Nobel Laureates 2008
Chemistry, Martin Chalfie
Chemistry, Osamu Shimomura
Chemistry, Roger Y. Tsien
Economics, Paul Krugman
Literature, Jean-Marie Gustave Le Clézio
Medicine, Françoise Barré-Sinoussi
Medicine, Luc Montagnier
Medicine, Harald zur Hausen
Peace, Martti Ahtisaari
Physics, Makoto Kobayashi
Physics, Toshihide Maskawa
Physics, Yoichiro Nambu More information



2. Go to Encyclopedia Online at http://library.spu.ac.th Search for the history of automobiles or computer. Summarize the information you get.


The automobile as we know it was not invented in a single day by a single inventor. The history of the automobile reflects an evolution that took place worldwide. It is estimated that over 100,000 patents created the modern automobile. However, we can point to the many firsts that occurred along the way. Starting with the first theoretical plans for a motor vehicle that had been drawn up by both Leonardo da Vinci and Isaac Newton. In 1769, the very first self-propelled road vehicle was a military tractor invented by French engineer and mechanic, Nicolas Joseph Cugnot (1725 - 1804). Cugnot used a steam engine to power his vehicle, built under his instructions at the Paris Arsenal by mechanic Brezin. It was used by the French Army to haul artillery at a whopping speed of 2 1/2 mph on only three wheels. The vehicle had to stop every ten to fifteen minutes to build up steam power. The steam engine and boiler were separate from the rest of the vehicle and placed in the front (see engraving above). The following year (1770), Cugnot built a steam-powered tricycle that carried four passengers. Information


3. What is the difference between general book and reference book?

- Reference books are usually the easiest things to reference. Reference books are the book that write about the fact & information that gather by master or professor in that topic. The detail in books are high quality and reference from the real information. You dont need to read all of the book just read only a topic that referenced to the topic you need.

- General Books are books contain informations all of the book normally same topic. Books may also refer to a literature work, or a main division of such a work. In library and information science, a book is called a monograph, to distinguish it from serial periodicals such as magazines, journals or newspapers. The body of all written works including books is literature.

4. When do you need to search information from the reference book?

I need to search information from the reference collection when I need information that I want to use. Example, If I want to know tetephone numbers I will use directory or yellow pages. And If I would like to know a volume of maps or charts with or without explanations I will use atlas. I use dictionary to find the meaning, spelling, synonyms, pronunciation, usage and derivations. And I need to search information from the reference collection to make report too.



5. What type of regerence collection that you like to use most? And why?

Normorely I used every kinds of reference collection to answer my question that I do not know,
but mostly I use dictionary because I am studing in the International program when I do not know the words, I will use dictionary to find the meaning of words from English to Thai, Thai to
English, and English to English. Dictionary not only tell me the meaning but also spelling,
synonyms, pronunciation and usage too.

6.Dictionaries

Dictionaries are used to find the meaning of words, their origin. their pronunciation and grammatical context. There are many categories of dictionary example foreign language, children's, historical, regional, crossword, slang, synonyms and antonyms, abbreviations and axronyms and subuect dictionaries. Examples include the Concise Oxford Dictionary, Roget's
Thesaurus, Maxquarie Dictionary, Acronyms, Initialisms and Abbreviations Dictionary.




Example, Art [ art]
[noun]
1. the use of the imagination to express ideas or fellings, particularly in painting, drawing or
SCULPTURE: e.g. see also CLIP ART, FINE ART
2. examples of objects such as paintings, drawings or sculptures.
3. the skill of creating objects such as paintings and drawings, especially when you study it.
4 . the arts [pl.] art, music, theatre, literature, etc. when you think of them as a group.


[verb]
verb thou art (old use) used to mean ' you are ' when talking to one person

9 comments:

  1. I think mimicking popular posts on other blogs is one of the best ways to get a good idea which will be popular.
    -----------------------
    Professional Locksmith in Long Island

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there I am so thrilled I found your website, I really found you by mistake, while I was browsing on Yahoo for something else, Anyhow I am here now and would just like to say thanks a lot for a tremendous post and a all round exciting blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to go through it all at the minute but I have saved it and also added in your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read more, Please do keep up the awesome job.
    Onsite auto repair in Houston

    ReplyDelete
  3. It’s always so sweet and also full of a lot of fun for me personally and my office colleagues to search your blog a minimum of thrice in a week to see the new guidance you have got.
    Mercedes Repair san diego

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, of course this post is genuinely fastidious and I have learned lot of things from it about blogging. thanks.
    Honda car dealers in Thane

    ReplyDelete
  5. A number of viewers are keen to watch comic video clips, but I like to watch terrible videos on YouTube.
    Quarter Glass repair tx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is great! It really shows me where to expand my blog. I think, in future I must try to write a book to go along with my blog, but we will see. In the end, it’s a good post with useful tips and ideas.

    Dodge Ram Truck Side Mirror Glass

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello there to each and every one, it's really a bravo to visit this site page, it incorporates accommodating Information.

    Vinyl wrap Toronto

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a video it is! Really astounding and demanding quality, please transfer more motion pictures having such great quality. Much appreciated.Auto restoration La Mesa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Presently I am prepared to do my breakfast, while having my breakfast coming back again to peruse further news.
    used cars dealer

    ReplyDelete